miércoles, 1 de octubre de 2014

The 2014 Argentinean (& Uruguayan) Literature of Doom: September Links & October Mayhem

With apologies to anybody expecting to read about some Argentinean or Uruguayan literature of doom here in Caravanalandia last month, I only read one book that qualified because I got a little sidetracked with some French and Francophone history and lit.  Of course, since only one person could be bothered to discuss Sergio Bizzio's Rabia with me, perhaps no apologies are necessary!  In any event, here are a few links to some tasty Doom morsels cooked up by other 2014 A(&U)LoD participants in case you missed the soirée.

JacquiWine, JacquiWine's Journal
The Things We Don't Do by Andrés Neuman

Richard, Caravana de recuerdos
Rabia by Sergio Bizzio

Rise, in lieu of a field guide
Shantytown by César Aira
Conversations by César Aira

Stu, Winstonsdad's Blog

Tony, Tony's Reading List
The Things We Don't Do by Andrés Neuman

October Mayhem I.  After some inadvertent slacking re: the last three months of group reads I was supposed to be hosting, I'll try and get back on track--hopefully with Tom from Wuthering Expectations as company--with a late October reading of the 100-year old Chilean Nicanor Parra's 1954 Poemas y antipoemas [Poems and Antipoems].  October Mayhem II.  Tom from Wuthering Expectations, Séamus from Vapour Trails and I will also be reading a Scandinavian Literature of Doom selection together in the form of 155-year old Norwegian Knut Hamsum's 1892 Mysteries.  Please consider joining us for one or the other of the two choices: the Parra discussion's slated for the last three days of the month, the Hamsun more flexibly "at the end of October" per Tom (details here).

18 comentarios:

  1. I've got Hamsum' Pan fired up for this week, let's say, so I'll repeat that announcement. And Quiroga is rolling for some pure Doom.

    The Parra book turns out to be a surprising pain to get, but I will prevail!

    We can just discuss Parra and Hamsun side by side, like in interwoven posts. It will be innovative.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Glad you're still up for the Parra (I thought you'd already read it, but I guess you read a different one by him?) and very much looking forward to reading the Hamsun with you and Séamus. Quiroga, pure Doom for sure. Quite a character that guy.

      Borrar
    2. The titling of the Parra-in-English books is very confusing.

      Borrar
    3. I guess "free verse" strikes again. Or something.

      Borrar
  2. Nice round-up, Richard. I've yet to read Aira so I'll take a look at Rise's reviews. I should have another Argentinian review up in a week or two so you'll have something for your October summary. Looking forward to following your posts.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks, Jacqui--am really looking forward to reading about your next review for the event! By the way, Rise and Scott from seraillon and Tom from Wuthering Expecations all have multiple Aira posts for you to check out should you be looking for a good recommendation. The only "problem" is you might want to try multiple Aira novellas afterward!

      Borrar
    2. Great, I shall take a look! Thanks.

      Borrar
  3. Respuestas
    1. Merwin & Grossman? Wow, great finds! Thanks for sharing the links. Rather embarrassingly, your research heroics just reminded me that I had a Spanish copy of Parra's After Dinner Conversations brought to me from Chile earlier this year (I'd forgotten about it b/c it's kind of out of sight, but I shouldn't be able to forget again before the end of the month). The moral of the story: my research heroics, while effective, really aren't all that heroic, he he.

      Borrar
  4. I have got myself a little Onetti lined up for later this month, although my current blogging 'speed' means it could be the 2015 A(&U)LoD before I post.... (It's The Shipyard, by the way)

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Good to hear about those Onetti plans, and I look forward to reading about it for whichever A(&U)LoD you decide to submit it for. I'm reading the follow-up to The Shipyard right now (Juntacadáveres/Bodysnatchers), which if I remember right is sort of a prequel to the story found in the one you're reading, but much of what I remember from The Shipyard is what a foggy atmosphere (psychologically and weather-wise) hangs over the events in that work. Hope you enjoy it!

      Borrar
    2. I live in the boggy Irish midlands, fog is my natural environment.

      Borrar
  5. I shall get of the mark this month as have read literary conference by Cesar Aira hope to get a second book read during the month .

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. That's I think my second least favorite Aira so far, Stu, so I look forward to hearing what you make of it (others seem to fancy it way more than I did, though). Also, thanks for reading along with the gang for this event!

      Borrar
  6. I'm on board with you and Tom on the Parra since I bought and read two books. I am on poetry binge lately.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Rise, exciting news about the Parra! I wish I could binge on poetry, but I only seem able to do that with prose. A failing on my part.

      Borrar